Re: protein entities (was Re: Rules (was Re: Ambiguous names. was: Re: URL +1, LSID -1)

We don't yet have formal definitions for many of the classes and
relations (the effort only began in earnest a few months ago).  But,
basically, there is a distinction made between the full-length (in terms
of amino acid sequence) protein and the sub-length parts of proteins
(commonly called domains by protein scientists, unfortunately).  The
term "whole protein" is somewhat of a placeholder; it is used to signify
the evolutionary classes (families) of full-length proteins as opposed
to the evolutionary classes of domains.  Sequence form is again a
placeholder term used to denote the initial translation product from an
mRNA, which itself might be based on a "normal" gene or a mutant
thereof, or which might be one of several possible alternatively spliced
transcripts from the normal or mutant gene.  The cleaved or modified
product is a further breakdown of those initial translation products,
and allows one to distinguish between a phosphorylated version of a
protein and the non-phosphorylated version (as an example).  The need
for the latter derives from the fact that the two versions might have
different functions.