Re: protein entities (was Re: Rules (was Re: Ambiguous names. was: Re: URL +1, LSID -1)

Darren Natale wrote:
> We recently began a new Protein Ontology (PRO) effort geared precisely
> toward the formal definition of the "smaller entities" referred to by
> Alan.  By "we" I mean the PRO Consortium, comprising the PIs Cathy Wu of
> PIR (which is also a member organization of the UniProt Consortium),
> Barry Smith of SUNY Buffalo, and Judy Blake of Jackson Labs.  PRO is
> being developed within the framework of the OBO Foundry, and aims to
> specify protein entities at the level mentioned by Chris (accounting for
> splice variation and post-translational modification and cleavage).
> Where appropriate, PRO will indeed make reference to both other
> ontologies and to UniProt Knowledgebase (UniProtKB) records.
> Furthermore, we are also undertaking the "wildly ambitious" job of
> representing broader, more-inclusive classes of similar proteins based
> on evolutionary relatedness.
>
> A further description of PRO (with examples and link to a paper) can be
> found at http://pir.georgetown.edu/pro

This will no doubt be interesting to quite a few people here! For the sake
of this discussion, could you elaborate a bit more on how the different
concepts in PRO are defined, i.e. what is a "protein", "whole protein",
"sequence form" and "cleaved and/or modified product"?