RE: protein entities (was Re: Rules (was Re: Ambiguous names. was: Re: URL +1, LSID -1)

> Sequence form is again a placeholder term ...

> ... distinguish between a phosphorylated version of a
> protein and the non-phosphorylated version (as an example).  The need
> for the latter derives from the fact that the two versions might have
> different functions.

Independent of whether there is a (known) difference in function,
chemistry (and circumstance) defines function. Any chemical modification
results in a different biochemical entity with potentially different
function. Proteins and their "version" derivatives are no exception. The
relationship between them is that they participate in a chemical
process, but they are fundamentally different entities.

Cheers,

-=Michel=-