Re: [rdf] Re: [personal] proposal for standard NCBI database URI

From: Mark Wilkinson <markw@illuminae.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 09:17:05 -0700
To: Steven Bedrick <bedricks@ohsu.edu>
Cc: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 09:00 -0700, Steven Bedrick wrote:

> What's really needed here is for the NCBI to start getting on the LSID
> bandwagon and start offering a resolution service. I think one of the
> main things holding people back from using LSIDs is that resolving
> NCBI-related LSIDs currently involves "third-party servers", and isn't
> always as intuitive, easy, and reliable as it could be.

Hear hear!  I second (third?) that!

Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI in Bioinformatics, iCAPTURE Centre
St. Paul's Hospital, Rm. 166, 1081 Burrard St.
Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6
tel: 604 682 2344 x62129
fax: 604 806 9274

"For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
       a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and interesting
      that communication has become more than a conduit,
       it has become a destination in its own right..."

                Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future