Re: [rdf] Re: proposal for standard NCBI database URI

From: Larry Hunter <Larry.Hunter@uchsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 10:58:59 -0600
To: markw@illuminae.com
Cc: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 09:16 -0700, Mark Wilkinson wrote:
> Hmmmm.... yeah, that's true... but my "gut" does a back-flip when I am
> forced to use a URI that refers to a web page, complete with fancy NCBI
> decorations and menu's

You're mistaken about that.  If you don't want the decorations, then use
the efetch URL:

  http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/efetch.fcgi?

which just brings back the raw data.  Details here:

  http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query/static/efetch_help.html

Format the query to return XML or ASN.1, and there you are.

Look, I don't think these are very pretty interfaces, either, but it is
possible to do what Alan wanted to do with no additional work.

Larry