Re: Oracle Uniprot RDF data set and benchmarks

From: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 01:27:31 +0100
To: public-semweb-lifesci <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

Jim Hendler wrote:
> I love this idea, but I would go a bit further - be even nicer for us
> non-biologists if it also included some example queries to run (and
> maybe even the correct answer sets) - I think if that existed, we could
> push some of the triple store developers to use it as a benchmark, which
> would help both communities...

In addition to the queries mentioned in the Oracle paper, the following
queries may be interesting to test some of the more advanced capabilities,
if present:

1. Filter some query by taxonomic kingdom, e.g. "Bacteria". This tests how
efficiently inference is handled, Taxa are referenced through
rdfs:subClassOf, and only the most specific Taxon is directly referenced
from a Protein.

2. Group-by query to determine the most frequent keyword or GO term
(referenced through classifiedAs) in a set of Proteins.

3. Output a mapping from one database to another via UniProt, e.g. EMBL to
MIM. Both are referenced from UniProt through rdfs:seeAlso, a "database"
property indicates the database name in which the resource is located. This
query isn't very complicated, but could produce a large result set.