Re: proposal for resolving deadlock

Michael Kifer wrote:

> There were difference points of view on what does it mean to "implement" a
> dialect. [...]
>
> You are opening up another Pandora box, and if this group keeps doing this
> we will never have anything done (and I will have no time to write).  From
> the theoretical point of view, for an interchange format we do not need
> anything more than plain predicates.  So, now you are opening the door for
> further endless arguing about the features that "make sense" (whatever this
> means) in an interchange format and those that do not.

Well, I did not open the Pandora box of how we should scope the feature
set of a limited number of RIF dialect to optimize their coverage of
rule languages [1]: I mean, that Pandora box is kind of intrinsic to the
idea of a RIF with a limited number of dialects (at least as I
understand it).

Actually, I rather tried to close the Pandora box of designing a (set
of) new rule language(s) for the Semantic Web and refocus us on rule
interchange, at least as far as the basic dialects and phase 1 are
concerned.

Nothing new, here: I have been trying to do that ever since that working
group started 2 years ago. With unequal success, I fear.

Christian

[1] that is, to maximize the set of rule languages  such that, for each
of them, there exists at least one standard dialect to/from which enough
of the rulesets that can be expressed in that rule language can be
translated for the said dialect to be of practical use as an interchange
format.