Re: proposal for resolving deadlock

> Michael Kifer wrote:
>
> >> If we are not going to deliver an extensibility mechanism then we won't
> >> hit that last call requirement. That is vastly more serious than the
> >> boundaries of what is or isn't in BLD.
> >>
> >> To be clear, the notion of a profile mechanism to support partial
> >> conformance with a dialect is a reasonable one. However, it is no a
> >> substitute for the extensibility mechanism.
> >
> > Would you task yourself to develop an acceptable extensibility mechanism?
>
> A fair question. The time I have available for things like RIF is small
> and going down so possibly not but I would like to understand where we
> are on this before committing either way.
>
> Would it be appropriate to make a status review of the extensibility
> work the primary topic for one of the first telecons in the new year?

Yes, it makes sense. Unfortunately, we do not have a lot. What we have is

1. The profile mechanism and the rif framework
2. The datatype extensibility mechanism
3. Sandro's ideas on what to do when a rif interpreter hits an unknown tag
   and such (this one is very preliminary)

This is far cry from what some people (e.g., Christian) seem to want: a way
of *adding* features to an existing dialect without doing too much work.

This latter feature could be very cool, but I doubt we will be able to come
up with something interesting here.

> >> Given that we have an committed requirement to deliver an extensibility
> >> mechanism then surely BLD can be an extension of this Core in the way we
> >> have discussed it up till now.
> >
> > So, do you agree to the proposed plan or not?
>
> I don't understand it.
>
> We've been discussing whether certain features are required in BLD. Your
> proposal is to put these features into BLD but say that they need not go
> into Core. I don't understand how that is a resolution, we weren't
> arguing about Core. The question of whether Core/BLD are related by
> extension or restriction is important but separate. I think I must be
> missing the point.
>
> However:
> (1) it is clear that several WG members would like classification in BLD
> (2) we (HP) aren't going to be able to support BLD anyway
> (3) Chris' proposal resolves part of my objection by specifying the
> relationship between these two RIF predicates and rdf:type/rdfs:subClassOf
>
> I haven't checked with colleagues yet but I think we'd be prepared to
> withdraw our objection to classification in BLD (but not Core) on the
> basis of Chris' proposal.

I would be overjoyed if this solved the problem. :-)

	--michael