Re: Action-48 text: a New Plan for plain literals

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:50:53 +0100
Cc: RDF Working Group WG <public-rdf-wg@w3.org>
To: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
On 24 May 2011, at 14:17, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> To date, the result of parsing in all toolkits I'm aware of is that the output is RDF abstract syntax, or though of as such.

The result of parsing is a data structure in a programming language. How this maps to the abstract syntax is implementation-specific. One can implement the proposal without changing the data structure, just by changing the (implicit) mapping.

Old options:
"lexical form" with datatype
<"lexical form", langtag>
"lexical form"

New options:
"lexical form" with datatype
<"lexical form", langtag> with datatype rdf:LanguageTaggedString

Implementers can treat presence of langtag + absence of a datatype as indicating the type rdf:LanguageTaggedString.

Furthermore, implementers have the choice not to change.