Re: Action-48 text: a New Plan for plain literals

On 2011-05-24, at 13:21, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> On 24 May 2011, at 13:10, Steve Harris wrote:
>> I agree with Andy, this is not going to play well with existing systems, unless rdf:LanguageTaggedString exists purely in the abstract syntax, you can still end up with literals with both a datatype, and a language tag.
>
> It *does* purely exist in the abstract syntax, as I said in my mail but you snipped it:
>
> “7. In concrete syntaxes, the "foo"@en form MUST be used for rdf:LanguageTaggedStrings.” [1]

That's really a separate issue from what the systems store internally. It's close to the abstract, but not necessarily the same. A change from a "lexical form" with either a datatype, or language to a pair/lexical form with a datatype is quite significant.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK