Re: Minutes for July 30th, 2009 RDFa Telecon

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Martin McEvoy wrote:

> > The purpose is to convey the semantics to *other* parties,
>
> I am a little dubious about what *other* parties means, does that mean
> anything other than a web browser?

It means anything other than the author of the page and the scripts loaded
by the page. It includes the Web browser -- that is, data-*="" attributes
must never be interpreted in any fashion by the Web browser, by search
engines, by other specs, and so on. It's explicitly intended as a dumping
ground for scripts.

However, new specs can just invent their own attributes, e.g.
prefix-cat="". HTML5 allows other specs to extend the language.

(Of course, I personally would strongly argue against any prefix
mechanism. But that's another story.)