Re: Minutes for July 30th, 2009 RDFa Telecon

From: Martin McEvoy <martin@weborganics.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 23:14:26 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>, RDFa Developers <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
Hello Ian ....

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Martin McEvoy wrote:
>
>>> The purpose is to convey the semantics to *other* parties,
>>>
>> I am a little dubious about what *other* parties means, does that mean
>> anything other than a web browser?
>>

> It means anything other than the author of the page and the scripts loaded
> by the page. It includes the Web browser -- that is, data-*="" attributes
> must never be interpreted in any fashion by the Web browser, by search
> engines, by other specs, and so on. It's explicitly intended as a dumping
> ground for scripts.

Useful feature then for creating unique nodes, sounds good.
> However, new specs can just invent their own attributes, e.g.
> prefix-cat="". HTML5 allows other specs to extend the language.
>
> (Of course, I personally would strongly argue against any prefix
> mechanism. But that's another story.)

I have never understood your stance on prefixes, to me and many others
they are a "feature" of the future web as well as the present, even
html5 uses prefixes i.e: data-*  so why you think they are OK in some
cases and not in others seems a little inconsistent to me but that my
own personal view.

Best wishes.

--
Martin McEvoy