Re: status of non-prefixed values in @rel

From: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:17:24 -0800
To: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
CC: RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Manu Sporny wrote:
> Not having rel="next" generate a triple in the default graph isn't a
> deal-breaker as far as I see it, especially since we leave it up to the
> parsers to generate those triples in other graphs, if necessary.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that it *is* a
deal-breaker for Creative Commons. After all, it's one of the driving
use cases! Creative Commons is adopting RDFa because "license" was added
as a reserved word more than 2 years ago, and it was understood for
*years* that rel=RESERVED_WORD would yield a triple.

I do have to apologize for somehow thinking this wouldn't be an issue
last month. I was very very wrong.

Saying that "parsers may wish to generate a triple if they want" doesn't
solve the problem at all: when we tell publishers what RDFa to write, we
need to ensure that *all* compliant parsers will find the triple.