Re: Interesting experience: my foaf in RDFa

Hausenblas, Michael wrote:

> Ivan,
>
>> - It works!  This is a really important point: I did not find
>> any construction in my previous foaf file that I could not
>> express somehow.
>
> Good to hear that! I made some experiments some time ago (switching
> from RDF/XML to RDFa [1]) and can by and larger conform your observations.

Yep, good to know! :)

There are some relatively intricate things expressible in FOAF, around
chat IDs, groups, schoolhomepages, online accounts etc --- I'd be
interested to see some of these expressed in a pretty howto page.

> However, one thing _really_ bugs me: Our nice (X)HTML+RDFa documents are
> ignored by 'Semantic Web search engines' as ptsw [2] or sindice [3].
> People, move on!

Can I put in a vote for W3C to spend some effort on updating the RDF
Validator (http://www.w3.org/RDF/Validator)? I reckon that, alongside
the syntax checker at validator.w3.org, will go a long way to pushing
these developments out into wider usage.

The next thing I try in RDFa will probably be expressing (a subset?) of
the FOAF schema in the FOAF spec. Not really sure what that should look
like, but ... would be nice for that doc to have a "valid html" icon in it!

>> Do not crucify me: maybe we should have (as some sort of a
>> very edge case advanced feature) some sort of an import
>> mechanism. Something like
>>
>> <link rel="rdfa-import" href="...."/>
>
> As I see the benefit and the use I do support your proposal, though
> the concrete solution you propose seems a bit awkward to me.
> Mark? Any thoughts?

Isn't this re-inventing iframes? How should an RDFa parser pointed at
dan.html deal with an iframe that includes photos.html ?

cheers,

Dan