Re: SPARQL: which features now, which features later for RDF Data Access?

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 09:55 -0400, Adrian Walker wrote:
> Dan --
>
> How many of the 14 test questions in [1] does the current SPARQL spec cover ?

Good question. I took a stab at it and discussed it with the WG...
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2005AprJun/thread.html#23

I think the answer is: the current design for SPARQL
supports 10 directly, and it can be layered on an inference
mechanism to support the Recursion and Entailment tests.

Y  1 Path Expression
Y  2 Optional Path
Y  3 union
Y  4 difference
N  5 Quantification
N  6 Aggregation
N* 7 Recursion
Y  8 Reification
Y  9 Collections and Containers
     (though the test doesn't really test collection access
      very well, and SPARQL has no particular support
      for collections and containers)
Y  10 Namespace
Y  11 Language
Y  12 Lexical Space
Y  13 Value Space
N* 14 Entailment

> I ask, because it's rather easy to do that test set in an end-user-friendly
> way with rules [2].

Interesting.

>                          Cheers,  -- Adrian
>
> [1]  A Comparison of RDF Query Languages
>               by Peter Haase, Jeen Broekstra, Andreas Eberhart, and Raphael
> Volz
>                http://www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/WBS/pha/rdf-query
>

> [2]  http://www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/RDFQueryLangComparison1.agent

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E