[XPath 2.0] XSCH-XPATH-001

From: Lisa Martin <lmartin@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:24:26 -0500
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org
Cc: W3C XML Schema WG <w3c-xml-schema-wg@w3.org>

Dear Colleagues,

This 2-part comment pertains to the Nov. 12 2003 version of XPath 2.0 [1].

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/

Lisa Martin, on behalf of the XML Schema Working Group

Section 2.1.1 Static Context
   [Definition:  In-scope type definitions.    Each named type definition
   is identified either by a QName (for a named type) or by an
   implementation-dependent type identifier for an anonymous type.  ... ]

   a.  The use of "Each named type definition is identified either..."
implies that anonymous types are considered "named type definitions"  in
this specification.   Is this correct?   If so, then constructor functions
are defined for anonymous types - was that intended?   If not, the first
use of "named" in the definition should be dropped.

b. WRT implementation-dependent type ids for anonymous types, we note that
elsewhere (schema context path) QT defines names for anonymous types. Would
it be appropriate to mandate their use in this case? We also note that
discussions are ongoing between two WGs about harmonizing schema context
paths and SCDs.