PROV-ISSUE-259: hadTemporalExtent domain and range [Ontology]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 18:06:47 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org
PROV-ISSUE-259: hadTemporalExtent domain and range [Ontology]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/259

Raised by: Stephan Zednik
On product: Ontology

hadTemporalExtent has rdfs:domain prov:Involvement, which means if anything has a prov:hadTemporalExtent that it will be inferred to be a member of the class prov:Involvement.

Since a temporal extent describes the time (interval or instant) over which something occurred, I would prefer to not restrict the class of things with temporal extent to Involvement.  For example, I think it would make sense in practice for Activities to use hadTemporalExtent.

Also, I would like the range of hadTemporalExtent to be relaxed to include both TimeInstant and intervals of time (which we currently do not model in prov-o).  In OWL-Time this would be time:TemporalEntity (union of time:Instant and time:Interval).

--Stephan