Re: PROV-ISSUE-99: prov:eventuallyUsed - a transitive version of prov:used. [Formal Model]

Hi,

The issue raised by Tim was a follow up of few emails that were
exchanged between the members of the formal model sub-group.

To illustrate the transitivity that is meant, consider an entity e0 that
is used by a process execution pe1, and consider that pe1 was used
(consumed) by a second process execution pe2. pe1 is, therefore, both a
process execution and an entity.

The question raised by the issue is whether we can state that pe2 used
e0? Tim was suggesting the use of "eventuallyUsed" instead of used in
this context.

The same above observation applies to generation.

Note that in the above it is assumed that the classes prov:Entity and
prov:ProcessExecution are not necessarily disjoint.

Now, in your answer, you were suggesting that:
   used(pe,e) or  (used(pe,e1) and dependedOn(e1,e)) implies
eventuallyUsed(pe,e).

I quite like this. And I think we can extend it for the case of
generation. That is:

wasGeneratedBy(e,pe) or (wasGeneratedBy(e1,pe) and dependedOn(e,e1))
implies wasEventuallyGeneratedBy(e,pe)

Thanks, khalid