Re: PROV-ISSUE-51 (asserter-def): Asserter needs to be defined with respect to a provenance container/account [Conceptual Model]

From: Paul Groth <p.t.groth@vu.nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:00:26 +0200
To: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
CC: "public-prov-wg@w3.org" <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
Hi Luc,

I don't know if I want to be rollled..... ;-)

I think that is a reasonable approach But you did specify a new type:
"provenance container" and a new role: "asserter"

I think these are new "concepts" but maybe you want to call them
something else. Maybe we are getting into the discussion of how to
extend the model....

Luc Moreau wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> To get the Paul rolling, I would like to put a proposal forward.
> It feels to me that we already have the concepts to define an asserter:
> agent and role.
> So, I am tempted to say we do not need to introduce a *new* concept, but
> instead we should
> explain how existing concepts can be exploited to characterize an asserter.
> Attached, you'll find the assertions from the example put in a container.
> The provenance of the container is embedded directly in the container
> itself.
> Obviously, we should also think about the PAQ document where we embed a
> reference to provenance;
> we may prefer this option.
> But the key thing is that the asserter is agent "Luc".
> Regards,
> Luc
> On 07/28/2011 10:11 AM, Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
>> PROV-ISSUE-51 (asserter-def): Asserter needs to be defined with respect to a provenance container/account [Conceptual Model]
>> Raised by: Paul Groth
>> On product: Conceptual Model
>> Asserter is a key part of the document. There are a number of places it's mentioned.
>> The definition of Provenance Container has the following note:
>> "It should be possible for asserters to annotate the container with a description of the justification for the assertions it contains, as well as additional meta-information, such as authorship of the assertions."
>> The View/Account mention has the following:
>> "an account is a set of assertions, forming a perspective on the world."
>> Asserter should be defined.

Dr. Paul Groth (p.t.groth@vu.nl)
Assistant Professor
Knowledge Representation & Reasoning Group
Artificial Intelligence Section
Department of Computer Science
VU University Amsterdam