Re: PROV-ISSUE-30 (name-for-bob): What name do we use for the BOB construct? [Conceptual Model]

From: Stephan Zednik <zednis@rpi.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 13:24:08 -0600
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org
I do not feel that EntityInstance, EntityInstantiation, or
InstantiatedEntity make sense for the book ownership scenario, or any
scenario modeling the provenance of changes in characteristics of a
physical object.

To reiterate the example since I haven't committed it to a wiki page
yet.  Book X is an entity that represents a real world object.  It can
be put on a shelf, loaned to friends, damaged, and/or destroyed.  It has
important characteristics (condition, ownership, location, etc) that may
change over the life of the book.  We may want to represent the
provenance of the book as a chain of ownership.

|<!------ Book X with owner A ---->|<----Book X with owner B ---->|<----
Book X with owner A --------->|

If a book changes ownership, is the "book with changed ownership" a
different EntityInstance?  A different InstantiatedEntity?  I don't
think what we current call a BOB is an 'instance of' anything.  I think
of it as a description of an entity that holds for some time period (not
necessarily given) for which contextually important mutable
characteristics of the the entity are held to be known.

--Stephan