PROV-ISSUE-44 (shortcuts): Introduce widely used provenance concepts as shortcuts in the model [Conceptual Model]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 16:21:18 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org

PROV-ISSUE-44 (shortcuts): Introduce widely used provenance concepts as shortcuts in the model [Conceptual Model]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/44

Raised by: Paul Groth
On product: Conceptual Model

There are a number of commonly used provenance relations in particular for the web that are not in the model. For practical use and uptake, it would be good to have definitions of these in the provenance model. These concepts should be defined in terms of the already existing "core" concepts. Below I list several and their definitions along with some justification for their introduction. Note, what these allow are simple provenance assertions that are compatible with the more complex model that we have been devising.

* isQuoteOf
A quote. Specifically, it represents a characterized entity that is part of another characterized entity.

A constrained version of isRevisionOf

see http://daringfireball.net/2011/07/attribution_and_credit

* isAttributedTo

Represents that a characterized identity was the product of an agent or can be attributed to that agent.

A constrained version of isDerivedFrom

see http://www.buzzmachine.com/2010/06/27/the-importance-of-provenance/

* isSummaryOf

Represents a characterized entity that is a synopsis or abbreviation of another entity.

constrained version of isDerivedFrom

* original-source
Represents a characterized entity in which another characterized entity first appeared.

A constrained version of isDerivedFrom

see http://www.google.com/support/news_pub/bin/answer.py?answer=191283