PROV-ISSUE-37: Section 3.3 and Section 3.4: on provenance information specified by third-parties [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

From: Provenance Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 18:15:19 +0000
To: public-prov-wg@w3.org

PROV-ISSUE-37: Section 3.3 and Section 3.4: on provenance information specified by third-parties [Accessing and Querying Provenance]

http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/37

Raised by: Khalid Belhajjame
On product: Accessing and Querying Provenance

In Section 3.4, it is said that:
“Where provenance information is provided by third party without any collaboration from the original source provider, the provenance link cannot be provided.”
I think that this statement is valid when the resource is a HTTP resource or HTML document. I am not sure that the statement is always valid when the resources are presented using RDF (Section 3.3): any third party can create a node with the URI designating the resource and linking it to another node with URI of provenance using the property prov:hasProvenance.

Khalid