Re: proposal to close (as RESOLVED) ISSUE-90 (class and property deprecation)

Ahh right - I forget - I don't mean no change to the documents - I
mean no change to OWL 1.0's implementation (i.e. Full) -- I've
previously proposed, and been ignored by this WG, that somewhere we
could provide a diff to OWL 1.0 and that that way anything we don't
change, requires no changing ... so Rincke is right - however, in OWL
1.0 we had a set of things we gave no semantics to and said were
there for users and implementors to use as needed - all the
versioning properties were included in that - so I propose we simply
keep them as such.

On Jan 24, 2008, at 2:54 AM, Rinke Hoekstra wrote:

> On 24 jan 2008, at 04:42, Jim Hendler wrote:
> *snip*
>> Syntax: no change
>> Semantics: no change
>> RDF mapping: no change
>
> Just to be clear: at the current state of the documents this would
> mean that backward compatibility is dropped (i.e. no change equals
> Peter's proposal)
>
> -Rinke
>

>> backward compatibility: maintained
>>   -JH
>>

>> On Jan 23, 2008, at 2:20 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>

>>> As I mentioned in the teleconference on 23 January 2008,  I
>>> propose to
>>> close ISSUE-90 by deprecating deprecation.
>>>
>>> This requires the following changes:
>>>
>>> Syntax: Add a note to the Differences section saying that
>>> deprecation of
>>>  	classes, datatypes, and properties is deprecated and is not a
>>>  	part of the functional syntax or structural specification.
>>>
>>> 	No other change.
>>>
>>> Semantics: No change.
>>>
>>> RDF Mapping: Add a new section at the (that will be much expanded
>>> later,
>>>     	     probably) to mention that owl:DeprecatedClass and
>>>     	     owl:DeprecatedProperty are not part of OWL 1.1.
>>>
>>>    OPTION 1: Add a paragraph to Section 3 saying that triples of the
>>>  	     form x rdf:type owl:DeprecatedClass where Type(x) contains
>>>  	     owl:Class or rdfs:Datatype, or of the form x rdf:type
>>>  	     owl:DeprecatedProperty where Type(x) contains
>>>  	     owl:ObjectProperty or owl:DatatypeProperty or
>>>  	     owl:AnnotationProperty are removed
>>>
>>>    OPTION 2: No change to Section 3, which means that use of
>>>    	     owl:DeprecatedClass or owl:DeprecatedProperty is not in OWL
>>>    	     1.1.
>>>
>>> I much prefer OPTION 2.
>>>

>>> peter
>>>

>> "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research,
>> would it?." - Albert Einstein
>>
>> Prof James Hendler				http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~hendler
>> Tetherless World Constellation Chair
>> Computer Science Dept
>> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY 12180

> Drs. Rinke Hoekstra
>
> Email: hoekstra@uva.nl    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
> Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
> Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke
>
> Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
> University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
> 1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands

it?." - Albert Einstein