Re: proposal to close (as RESOLVED) ISSUE-90 (class and property deprecation)

Note that option 2 will turn an OWL 1.0 DL ontology into OWL 1.1 Full
if it uses DeprecatedClass or DeprecatedProperty.

-Rinke

On 23 jan 2008, at 20:20, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> As I mentioned in the teleconference on 23 January 2008,  I propose to
> close ISSUE-90 by deprecating deprecation.
>
> This requires the following changes:
>
> Syntax: Add a note to the Differences section saying that
> deprecation of
> 	classes, datatypes, and properties is deprecated and is not a
> 	part of the functional syntax or structural specification.
>
> 	No other change.
>
> Semantics: No change.
>
> RDF Mapping: Add a new section at the (that will be much expanded
> later,
>    	     probably) to mention that owl:DeprecatedClass and
>    	     owl:DeprecatedProperty are not part of OWL 1.1.
>
>   OPTION 1: Add a paragraph to Section 3 saying that triples of the
> 	     form x rdf:type owl:DeprecatedClass where Type(x) contains
> 	     owl:Class or rdfs:Datatype, or of the form x rdf:type
> 	     owl:DeprecatedProperty where Type(x) contains
> 	     owl:ObjectProperty or owl:DatatypeProperty or
> 	     owl:AnnotationProperty are removed
>
>   OPTION 2: No change to Section 3, which means that use of
>   	     owl:DeprecatedClass or owl:DeprecatedProperty is not in OWL
>   	     1.1.
>
> I much prefer OPTION 2.
>

> peter

Drs. Rinke Hoekstra

Email: hoekstra@uva.nl    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands