Re: Universal Property

apologies as usual for not being precise enough for Peter
  the minutes include
PROPOSED: close (as REJECTED) Issue 73 (Should owl:Thing be
necessarily infinite?)
RESOLVED: close (as REJECTED) Issue 73 (Should owl:Thing be
necessarily infinite?)

in between these is a vote of -1 by Jeremy and discussion of whether
he would like to make a formal objection.  The minutes read:

Jeremy Carroll:: it's not a formal objection
	Jeremy Carroll: there may be enough small problems like this, that
it may total to a formal objection...... [Scribe assist by Sandro Hawke]
Ian Horrocks: close the issue, record Jeremy/HP voting against...
Ian Horrocks: ongoing discussion of this is not likely to get us to
consensus. Jeremy seems to agree with this assessment -- he just
wants a "no" vote recorded. [Scribe assist by Sandro Hawke]
Jeremy Carroll: maybe HP should review the vote against, but perhaps
at the next publication stage

so I was referring to that.  The choice of the subject line was
because a thread in our mailing list that discussed this issue had
that subject

I apologize for not rendering what I thought were obvious inferences
into a more formal form the first time around

so, to recap, I felt that issue 73 was closed without enough
discussion to make it clear to me (and maybe some others) what the
implications were, and since it was closed without consensus, I
wanted to make sure RPI was on record as not having agreed, since we,
like HP, may want to review the issue at a later time

  -JH

On Jan 18, 2008, at 4:35 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> Umm, which issue, which objection?
>
> I could not find an issue whose title mentions a universal property.
> I also could not find an objection from Jeremy in the minutes of the
> last two TCs.
>
> peter
>

> From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>
> Subject: Re: Universal Property
> Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:56:41 -0500
>
>> I am uncomfortable with the closing of this issue over Jeremy's
>> objection - I see very little discussion of the issue, I see no use
>> cases or tests which have been proposed that separate the issue, and
>> I find the theoretical emails to be stuff I cannot understand -- so
>> RPI would like to go on record as voting against the closing of the
>> issue.  We will not create a formal objection, but like Jeremy we
>> reserve the right to create an objection when the document that
>> actually explains this is published
>>   -Jim Hendler
>>   AC Rep
>>   RPI