Re: Universal Property

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:29:30 +0000
Cc: Uli Sattler <sattler@cs.man.ac.uk>, "Web Ontology Language ((OWL)) Working Group WG" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
To: Carsten Lutz <clu@tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de>

So, would a concrete proposal that we'd introduce a "owl:RoleThing"
that is the superrole of all other roles? If so, for symmetry we
should introduce the owl:RoleNothing (ok, better names, please!)
(which would be easily definable by disjointness with owl:RoleThing).

Aside from expressivity benefits, this would be really nice for
editors, IDEs, and debugging. I've had requests for unsatisfiable
role checking and lots of people want a "top" role, if just for JTree
nice layoutness.