Re: Universal Property

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> So, would a concrete proposal that we'd introduce a "owl:RoleThing" that is
> the superrole of all other roles?

What does "the superrole" mean? The smallest superrole? That would
give you transitive closure in the case you have only a single other
role.  Or an arbitrary superrole? That's also not the semantics of the
universal role and it would break a lot of uses of the universal
role. The semantics should be: the crossproduct of the whole domain.

> If so, for symmetry we should introduce the
> owl:RoleNothing (ok, better names, please!) (which would be easily definable
> by disjointness with owl:RoleThing).

Fine with me.

greetings,
 		Carsten

--
*      Carsten Lutz, Institut f"ur Theoretische Informatik, TU Dresden       *
*     Office phone:++49 351 46339171   mailto:lutz@tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de     *