Re: Draft of charter for NextWebOnt (Proposed) Working Group

On 11 Jan 2007, at 21:22, Jim Hendler wrote:

> At 6:46 PM +0000 1/11/07, Bijan Parsia wrote:
>> I defy the tackiness of being the first person to reply to my own
>> message :) but I wrote a blog post about the charter and my
>> thinking behind it:
>>
>> 	<http://clarkparsia.com/weblog/2007/01/11/a-proposed-draft-
>> charter-for-a-nextwebont-working-group/>
>>
>> Some of this is what went into my thinking about starting the
>> OWLED series of workshops as well. Of which there is one coming up
>> soon :)
>> 	<http://owled2007.iut-velizy.uvsq.fr/>
>> 	<http://clarkparsia.com/weblog/2006/12/31/owled-2007-first-call-
>> for-papersalready/>
>>
>> I really like having something reasonably organized to keep the de
>> facto state of the art both *coordinated* and *advancing*, so it's
>> especially great to get the participation of tool builders/vendors
>> at OWLED. Interoperability is key, after all!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bijan.
>
> what is the relationship betyween not having f2fs for the WG and
> having OWLED workshops ongoing?  As a chair, I will tell you that I
> thnk that without f2fs you will not be as able to succeed as you
> may think...

Hi Jim,

I also had some misgivings about this, but you will note that the
charter says that the WG does not *plan* to have f2f meetings, not
that it can't have them. The idea is that if the work of the WG can
be accomplished without f2f meetings, it will save considerable
resources both for participants and for the W3C.

My recollection of the WebOnt WG is that it was perfectly possible to
get work done without f2f meetings, but that they were useful for
resolving more contentious issues. If such issues arise, then it may
be necessary to ask for a f2f meeting; the (possibly naive) hope is
that that it will not be necessary.

Ian