Re: Draft of charter for NextWebOnt (Proposed) Working Group

At 9:22 AM +0000 1/12/07, Ian Horrocks wrote:
>On 11 Jan 2007, at 21:22, Jim Hendler wrote:
>

>>  At 6:46 PM +0000 1/11/07, Bijan Parsia wrote:
>>>  I defy the tackiness of being the first person to reply to my own
>>>message :) but I wrote a blog post about the charter and my
>>>thinking behind it:
>>>

>>>	<http://clarkparsia.com/weblog/2007/01/11/a-proposed-draft-charter-for-a-nextwebont-working-group/>
>>>
>>>  Some of this is what went into my thinking about starting the
>>>OWLED series of workshops as well. Of which there is one coming up
>>>soon :)
>>>  	<http://owled2007.iut-velizy.uvsq.fr/>
>>>
>>>	<http://clarkparsia.com/weblog/2006/12/31/owled-2007-first-call-for-papersalready/>
>>>
>>>  I really like having something reasonably organized to keep the
>>>de facto state of the art both *coordinated* and *advancing*, so
>>>it's especially great to get the participation of tool
>>>builders/vendors at OWLED. Interoperability is key, after all!
>>>
>>>  Cheers,
>>>  Bijan.
>>
>>  what is the relationship betyween not having f2fs for the WG and
>>having OWLED workshops ongoing?  As a chair, I will tell you that I
>>thnk that without f2fs you will not be as able to succeed as you
>>may think...
>
>Hi Jim,
>
>I also had some misgivings about this, but you will note that the
>charter says that the WG does not *plan* to have f2f meetings, not
>that it can't have them. The idea is that if the work of the WG can
>be accomplished without f2f meetings, it will save considerable
>resources both for participants and for the W3C.
>
>My recollection of the WebOnt WG is that it was perfectly possible
>to get work done without f2f meetings, but that they were useful for
>resolving more contentious issues. If such issues arise, then it may
>be necessary to ask for a f2f meeting; the (possibly naive) hope is
>that that it will not be necessary.
>
>Ian

personally, I think it may be better to set the expectation that
there will be a couple of f2fs and then cancel them if not needed -
otherwise people are much less likely to show up if you do need them
- think about it.
  -JH
--
Prof James Hendler				hendler@cs.rpi.edu