Re: Style

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Bob Morris <morris.bob@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Some would argue that this problem is best solved by the display
>> application provided only that the different specific targets are
>> distinguished from one another by something. It's the classic HTML
>> argument about  distinction between semantic and formatting tags.

>> In the case of preferring particular colors, what is supposed to
>> happen, say, for an annotation consumer with a color vision deficit?
>
> Don't do that then. Style is always only a hint, not an ultimatum.

Sure. That's why I phrased it on the wiki as about best practices.
Now, it would be a perfectly reasonable response to that issue to say
things like "best practices are outside the scope of the Community
Group" or "Web Accessibility is outside the scope of the Community
Group".  I hope neither is true, but if either is, then it should be
in broad daylight on the wiki.  But if neither is true, there still
may be better things OA could do than counsel avoidance as a solution.
 For example, it may be that recommendations could be developed to
unambiguously and <b>in a standard way</b> to provide for both
semantic and presentational use of style terminology, analogously to
the treatment of typographic tags like "<b>" are revised in HTML5.
And, if that's \already/ the case, I think examples and explanation
would be very useful.

--
Robert A. Morris

Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science
UMASS-Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3390

IT Staff
Filtered Push Project
Harvard University Herbaria
Harvard University

email: morris.bob@gmail.com
web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/
web: http://etaxonomy.org/mw/FilteredPush
http://www.cs.umb.edu/~ram
===
The content of this communication is made entirely on my
own behalf and in no way should be deemed to express
official positions of The University of Massachusetts at Boston or
Harvard University.