Re: Style

From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 11:27:10 -0600
To: Bernhard Haslhofer <bernhard.haslhofer@cornell.edu>
Cc: Bob Morris <morris.bob@gmail.com>, "shannon.bradshaw@gmail.com" <shannon.bradshaw@gmail.com>, Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com>, public-openannotation <public-openannotation@w3.org>
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Bernhard Haslhofer
<bernhard.haslhofer@cornell.edu> wrote:

>> If anyone has a real solution to that practical issue, I'd love to
>> hear it.
> short answer: if you really need to define the color of fragment boundaries,
> use SVG selectors.

I don't think this is a real solution for several reasons, primarily:

* Doesn't work for non fixed pixel data (eg white border around text
on white reflowable page)
* Would mean that everyone had to support SVG, making media fragments pointless
* Is worse for separation of concerns (semantic/presentation) than the
current proposal
* It's harder to ignore, as it's embedded within the SVG selector XML
rather than linked from the Annotation
* It doesn't allow 'inverse' styles, important for things like medical
images, where you grey out the rest of the resource rather than
putting a semi-transparent colored area over top of the selected
fragment, distorting the visible information.

Rob