W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-media-annotation@w3.org > June 2009

Proposal for modifications to the Media Ontology Document

From: Veronique Malaise <vmalaise@few.vu.nl>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 13:16:41 +0200
Cc: public-media-annotation@w3.org
Message-Id: <1A3503A1-7939-4CA0-8C88-E205F85BBD7C@few.vu.nl>
To: Daniel Park <soohongp@gmail.com>
Dear all,

Please find below my list of comments and change proposals for the  
Media Ontology document, each comment is separated by ---- These  
changes include my ACTION item: rephrase section 4.

Best regards,
Véronique

------
This document defines the Ontology for Media Resource 1.0
-> This document introduces the Ontology for Media Resource 1.0

------
Further it defines semantics-preserving mappings between elements from  
existing formats.
-> what does "semantics-preserving" mean?
-> we do not define mappings between formats, it is mappings between  
the formats and a common set, not between them (cf the directed vs non- 
directed mapping discussion).
-> Further, a mapping between a set of popular existing formats for  
describing multimedia (on the Web?) and this ontology has been defined.

------
1 Introduction
This document defines the Ontology for Media Resource 1.0
-> This document introduces the Ontology for Media Resource 1.0

------
It is defined based on a common set of properties which covers basic  
metadata to describe media resources.
-> It is defined based on a common set of properties from existing  
vocabularies [link to InScope formats] which covers basic metadata to  
describe media resources.

------
Further it defines semantics-preserving mappings between elements from  
existing formats.
-> same comments as above

------
For example creator is a common property that is supported in several  
existing metadata formats, and could therefore be part of the core  
vocabulary defined by the Ontology.
-> For example creator is a common property that is supported in  
several existing metadata formats, and is therefore part of the core  
vocabulary defined by/listed in? the Ontology.

------
The semantic links of the ontology define the interrelations between  
the properties in different formats. For example the property  
dc:creator from Dublin Core can be mapped to the property exif:Artist  
defined in EXIF.
-> No, the mappings go from the vocabularies' properties to the core  
vocabulary, no mapping between vocabularies is provided, at least so  
far. A possibl rephrasing is that this is a second stage purpose of  
the ontology. In my opinion, this cannot really be handled and the  
ontology should be a simple interlingua and the mapping across  
vocabularies should be left to the responsability of the applications.

------
This provides the basic information needed
-> This vocabulary selection, definition (! it is not defined yet,  
just listed and associated with a NL comment) and mappings as a core  
ontology provides the basic information needed

------
This initial version of this document contains only a limited set of  
properties with corresponding semantic mappings, which are listed in  
section 1.2 Formats in scope.
->This initial version of this document contains only a limited set of  
properties with corresponding semantic mappings to vocabularies, which  
are listed in section 1.2 Formats in scope.

------
Nevertheless it is being published with the aspiration to gather wide  
feedback on the general direction of the Working Group. In particular  
we would like to encourage feedback on section 4 Property definition.
-> section 4 should be renamed, we do not define the properties, we  
simply list the properties taken into account in the core part of the  
ontology.

------
video metadata formats by providing full or partial translation and  
mapping between existing formats.
-> video metadata formats by providing full or partial translation and  
mapping (to and?) from existing formats.

------
The keywords MUST, MUST NOT, SHOULD and SHOULD NOT are to be  
interpreted as defined in [RFC 2119]
-> we do not use these terms.

------
A property is an element from an existing metadata format for  
describing media resources on the web
->A property is an element from an existing metadata format for  
describing media resources. [some of the vocs taken into account are  
not used to publish on the Web]

------
The notion of Mapping refers to the description of relations between  
elements of metadata schemas; in our case the mapping concerns the  
Vocabularies "in scope", and the properties of the core vocabulary of  
the Media Ontology. These Mappings are presented in section 4.2  
Property mapping table.
-> The notion of Mapping refers to the description of relations  
between elements of metadata schemas; in our case the mapping concerns  
the properties of the vocabularies "in scope", and the properties of  
the core vocabulary of the Media Ontology. These Mappings are  
presented in section 4.2 Property mapping table.

------
Property value types are the types of values used in a property.
-> Property value types are the types of values used for the properties.

------
2.2 Identifiers of formats
Why not merge this section with the "formats in scope" which is a long  
list without information and is redundant with this table, much nicer  
than a flat list.

------
3 Property value type definitions
3.1 Basic property value types
->3 Property value type definitions
Property value types are the types of values that properties can have.  
These can be:
[remove: 3.1 Basic property value types, as there are no complex  
values defined so far]
-> this section can also go under the format in scope section  
gathering the previous table.

------
4 Property definition
This section is normative.
4.1 Core property definitions
->4 Property selection
This section is normative. [what does this mean?]
4.1 Core Media Properties list

------
Description of approach for the property definitions
-> Selection process for the Core Media Properties list

->
[cut and paste here the following two paragraphs from the sections  
4.2.1 and 4.2.1.3, before the sentence "The following information is  
available for each property:"]
As a first step to build the Media ontology, a set of commonly  
supported properties by the aforementioned vocabularies has been  
listed. This list, henceforth referred to as "Core Media Properties  
list", is the basis for vocabularies matching. Its namespace is "ma",  
for Media Annotation Working Group. The Core list of properties is not  
exhaustive and if some properties are judged to be missing for  
different use cases or in different communities, the list will be  
extended. This list has been defined by making an initial set of  
mapping propositions from the list of vocabularies in scope to XMP as  
a pivot vocabulary. From this original mapping table, it has been  
checked which of the properties were supported by most of the  
vocabularies, and which ones were judged useful by the members of the  
group present at the Face to Face meeting in Barcelona. A list of  
properties by a cross validation between the member's opinion and the  
popularity of the properties across the vocabularies has been selected  
in order to get some level of objectiveness.

------
This core list of properties is neither closed, nor pretend to be  
exhaustive and that the group still looks at rationale for including  
properties to be considered in the final list of properties. In  
addition this table will be elaborated for the types and further  
information.
-> This core list of properties is neither closed, nor pretend to be  
exhaustive: the group is still considering including other properties  
into the "Core list", as well as taking other vocabularies (hence  
other lists of properties) into account. In addition this table will  
be further completed with the properties's values types.

------
Last comment:
-> by the way, we never define ontology, and never state that we  
consider a light weight description of properties and their informal  
mappings as an ontology. We can also add that some more canonical  
forms of ontologies, with restrictions and a formal semantics might be  
derived from this informal list at a further stage.









On Jun 1, 2009, at 9:10 AM, Daniel Park wrote:

> This is a draft agenda for this week call tomorrow. Feel free to let  
> chairs know if any items are omitted...
>
>
> *===================================================================*
>
> *Tuesday, 2 June 12:00-13:00 UTC*
>
> *===================================================================*
>
> * **Zakim General Information*
>
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=06&day=02&year=2009&hour=12&min=00&sec=0&p1=0
>
> http://www.w3.org/Guide/1998/08/teleconference-calendar.html#s_3261
>
> Bridge US: +1-617-761-6200 (Zakim)
>
> Bridge FR: +33.4.89.06.34.99
>
> Bridge UK: +44.117.370.6152
>
> Conference code: 6294 (spells "MAWG")
>
> Duration: 60 minutes
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> IRC channel : #mediaann on irc.w3.org:6665 W3C IRC Web Client : http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc 
>  (Other clients are listed at http://www.w3.org/Project/IRC/#Client)
>
> Zakim information : http://www.w3.org/2002/01/UsingZakim
>
> Zakim bridge monitor : http://www.w3.org/1998/12/bridge/Zakim.html
>
> Zakim IRC bot : http://www.w3.org/2001/12/zakim-irc-bot.html
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> WG home page : http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/
>
> WG admin home page : http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/admin
>
> WG AI tracker : http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/track/
>
> WG open issue :
>
> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/track/actions/open
>
> *===================================================================*
>
> *AGENDA*
>
> *[1] Administratives*
>
> Chair: Daniel
>
> Scribe: Werner
>
> Regrets:
>
> [a] Agenda review and approval of previous minutes 26 May 2009
>
> http://www.w3.org/2009/05/26-mediaann-minutes.html
>
> [b] Schedule for the next call on 9 June 2009
>
>
> *[2] Items*
>
> [a] Action items
>
> Please give us the status of your Action Item. We will go through  
> the list http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/track/actions/open
>
> [b] Initial draft of "Ontology for Media Entity 1.0"
>
>     i) Status (Wonsuk, Veronique)
>
>     ii) Attribute descriptors (David)
>
>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-annotation/2009May/0099.html
>
>     iii) Syntactic descriptions comment from Felix
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-annotation/2009May/0096.html
>
>
> [c] Browsable version (Ruben), can it be done automatically?
>
>         http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/wiki/MediaOntology
>
> [d] Schedule for API and Ontology for Media Resource 1.0 First Draft.
>
> Set up a time plan in order to move it to a draft
>
> [e] AOB
>
> ---------------------------------------------
>
>
>
> -- 
> Soohong Daniel Park
> Standard Architect, http://blog.naver.com/natpt
> DMC Business, Samsung Electronics, KOREA
>
>
Received on Tuesday, 2 June 2009 11:18:18 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 2 June 2009 11:18:18 GMT