Proposal for modifications to the Media Ontology Document

Dear all,

Please find below my list of comments and change proposals for the
Media Ontology document, each comment is separated by ---- These
changes include my ACTION item: rephrase section 4.

Best regards,
Véronique

------
This document defines the Ontology for Media Resource 1.0
-> This document introduces the Ontology for Media Resource 1.0

------
Further it defines semantics-preserving mappings between elements from
existing formats.
-> what does "semantics-preserving" mean?
-> we do not define mappings between formats, it is mappings between
the formats and a common set, not between them (cf the directed vs non-
directed mapping discussion).
-> Further, a mapping between a set of popular existing formats for
describing multimedia (on the Web?) and this ontology has been defined.

------
1 Introduction
This document defines the Ontology for Media Resource 1.0
-> This document introduces the Ontology for Media Resource 1.0

------
It is defined based on a common set of properties which covers basic
metadata to describe media resources.
-> It is defined based on a common set of properties from existing
vocabularies [link to InScope formats] which covers basic metadata to
describe media resources.

------
Further it defines semantics-preserving mappings between elements from
existing formats.
-> same comments as above

------
For example creator is a common property that is supported in several
existing metadata formats, and could therefore be part of the core
vocabulary defined by the Ontology.
-> For example creator is a common property that is supported in
several existing metadata formats, and is therefore part of the core
vocabulary defined by/listed in? the Ontology.

------
The semantic links of the ontology define the interrelations between
the properties in different formats. For example the property
dc:creator from Dublin Core can be mapped to the property exif:Artist
defined in EXIF.
-> No, the mappings go from the vocabularies' properties to the core
vocabulary, no mapping between vocabularies is provided, at least so
far. A possibl rephrasing is that this is a second stage purpose of
the ontology. In my opinion, this cannot really be handled and the
ontology should be a simple interlingua and the mapping across
vocabularies should be left to the responsability of the applications.

------
This provides the basic information needed
-> This vocabulary selection, definition (! it is not defined yet,
just listed and associated with a NL comment) and mappings as a core
ontology provides the basic information needed

------
This initial version of this document contains only a limited set of
properties with corresponding semantic mappings, which are listed in
section 1.2 Formats in scope.
->This initial version of this document contains only a limited set of
properties with corresponding semantic mappings to vocabularies, which
are listed in section 1.2 Formats in scope.

------
Nevertheless it is being published with the aspiration to gather wide
feedback on the general direction of the Working Group. In particular
we would like to encourage feedback on section 4 Property definition.
-> section 4 should be renamed, we do not define the properties, we
simply list the properties taken into account in the core part of the
ontology.

------
video metadata formats by providing full or partial translation and
mapping between existing formats.
-> video metadata formats by providing full or partial translation and
mapping (to and?) from existing formats.

------
The keywords MUST, MUST NOT, SHOULD and SHOULD NOT are to be
interpreted as defined in [RFC 2119]
-> we do not use these terms.

------
A property is an element from an existing metadata format for
describing media resources on the web
->A property is an element from an existing metadata format for
describing media resources. [some of the vocs taken into account are
not used to publish on the Web]

------
The notion of Mapping refers to the description of relations between
elements of metadata schemas; in our case the mapping concerns the
Vocabularies "in scope", and the properties of the core vocabulary of
the Media Ontology. These Mappings are presented in section 4.2
Property mapping table.
-> The notion of Mapping refers to the description of relations
between elements of metadata schemas; in our case the mapping concerns
the properties of the vocabularies "in scope", and the properties of
the core vocabulary of the Media Ontology. These Mappings are
presented in section 4.2 Property mapping table.

------
Property value types are the types of values used in a property.
-> Property value types are the types of values used for the properties.

------
2.2 Identifiers of formats
Why not merge this section with the "formats in scope" which is a long
list without information and is redundant with this table, much nicer
than a flat list.

------
3 Property value type definitions
3.1 Basic property value types
->3 Property value type definitions
Property value types are the types of values that properties can have.
These can be:
[remove: 3.1 Basic property value types, as there are no complex
values defined so far]
-> this section can also go under the format in scope section
gathering the previous table.

------
4 Property definition
This section is normative.
4.1 Core property definitions
->4 Property selection
This section is normative. [what does this mean?]
4.1 Core Media Properties list

------
Description of approach for the property definitions
-> Selection process for the Core Media Properties list

->
[cut and paste here the following two paragraphs from the sections
4.2.1 and 4.2.1.3, before the sentence "The following information is
available for each property:"]
As a first step to build the Media ontology, a set of commonly
supported properties by the aforementioned vocabularies has been
listed. This list, henceforth referred to as "Core Media Properties
list", is the basis for vocabularies matching. Its namespace is "ma",
for Media Annotation Working Group. The Core list of properties is not
exhaustive and if some properties are judged to be missing for
different use cases or in different communities, the list will be
extended. This list has been defined by making an initial set of
mapping propositions from the list of vocabularies in scope to XMP as
a pivot vocabulary. From this original mapping table, it has been
checked which of the properties were supported by most of the
vocabularies, and which ones were judged useful by the members of the
group present at the Face to Face meeting in Barcelona. A list of
properties by a cross validation between the member's opinion and the
popularity of the properties across the vocabularies has been selected
in order to get some level of objectiveness.

------
This core list of properties is neither closed, nor pretend to be
exhaustive and that the group still looks at rationale for including
properties to be considered in the final list of properties. In
addition this table will be elaborated for the types and further
information.
-> This core list of properties is neither closed, nor pretend to be
exhaustive: the group is still considering including other properties
into the "Core list", as well as taking other vocabularies (hence
other lists of properties) into account. In addition this table will
be further completed with the properties's values types.

------
Last comment:
-> by the way, we never define ontology, and never state that we
consider a light weight description of properties and their informal
mappings as an ontology. We can also add that some more canonical
forms of ontologies, with restrictions and a formal semantics might be
derived from this informal list at a further stage.