Re: "Two-way Search" demo anyone?

François Dongier wrote:
> Right, I was surprised to see Dave Winer suggesting just a pointer to
> the searcher's blog URI. It certainly would seem more efficient to
> have the query include a pointer to a *rich*, structured,
> user-editable user-profile. This structure would help the search
> engine know where to find the information it needs to personalize the
> search result and make it more relevant to the search context. This
> (context specification) is where the "user-editable" bit comes in. And
> I think it goes beyond foaf:interests: what's needed is more something
> like a "current" interest-profile.
Correct!

Excerpt from my comments to Dave:

".if the search engine was able to discern my Identity (or prompt me for
a pointer my profile or blog home page), I should then be able to use
information gleaned from my profile (however obtained) to do the following:

1. Optimize the search path
2. Provide search results that enable be to disambiguate further (if
need be) using Entity Type and/or Entity Properties.."

As per my Tweet: I prefer to call this "context driven search" :-)

Kingsley

> Regards,
> François
>
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com
> <mailto:danny.ayers@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dave Winer has posted an idea [1] that I think would make a neat
>     little demo in the crossover area between LOD and traditional
>     keyword/linkrank search. His suggestion is for a search engine to
>     offer a preference to allow the searcher to enter their blog URI
>     alongside the usual text search, allowing the engine to provide more
>     focused results. (Curiously he elides the part about what mechanisms
>     are used behind the scenes :-)
>
>     I'm pretty sure someone around here will have most if not all of the
>     necessary pieces already in place (SearchMonkey, Sindice...), but I
>     don't recall seeing a really minimal UI, like:
>
>     Search Terms :               [          ]
>     Home Page or WebID :   [          ]
>
>     Come to think of it, if anyone has a dedicated RDF-backed RSS/Atom
>     aggregator, I'd rather like a blog search tool like this. SPARQL regex
>     would probably be adequate for the text search part, with maybe
>     derived foaf:primaryTopics from documents being lined up with
>     foaf:interests pulled via the WebID.
>
>     Cheers,
>     Danny.
>
>     [1] http://www.scripting.com/stories/2009/07/26/twowaySearch.html