Re: ANN: Sparallax! - Browse sets of things together (now those on your SPARQL endpoint)

Giovanni Tummarello wrote:
> Hi Kingsely,
>
> we are a bit unsure about your complaint, please clarify,  do you mean
> to say that sparallax give that user agent when trying to connect to
> an external sparql endpoint?  we tried and got the user agent of the
> browser. Not sure how it is important to use a user agent instead of
> another when making a request to a sparql endpoint anyway.

I want to be able to use my browser's context menu sequence (CTRL+Right
Mouse or CTRL+Click) to graph the HTTP URI of the things mentioned in
the page. This enables me to perform the following once Parallax or
Sparallax provided me with a beachead within the vast Web of Linked Data:

1. Beam a SPARQL from my current position since I don't have the time to
click my way down the deep mesh that is the Web
2. Negotiate an alternative representation of the metadata associated
with the "Thing" or "Things" exposed on the page.
> In terms of what sparallax is for well i think a pretty interesting
> use for Sparallax is that of installing it on the same servers as LOD
> datasets and offereing it to the users as way to browse the entire
> dataset via textual search and filtering/hopping from set to set.

Don't dispute that.

Remember we have:

1. http://lod.openlinksw.com -- questionable UI, but based on the cost
of the UI, I guess we need to go honker down and fix the darn UI once
and for all
2. http://ec2.monrai.com:8890/facets/ -- alternative UI to the above
3.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtuosoFacetsWebService
-- API used by Razorbase to produce an alternative to our default UI
> This as opposed to (on top of) the simple click and browse currently
> offered which does nothing but mimiking the normal document web. (its
> completely impossible to explain to anyone what the power is).
> With sparallax this becomes clear, you can search via text, then
> browse, refine link etc.

Depends on what power you are trying to expose.

I am interested in exposing the power of the Linked Data Web which means
there is never justification to taking HTTP URIs that exist in the
source data out of the scope of User Agents.

The HTTP URI is the atom. In the Linked Data Web realm its accessibility
should be sacrosanct.
> if you have your sparql endpoint it all comes for free! :-) nothing
> else to install but a simple .. Javascript (and a php file, ok)

What about if I don't want to use Javascript or PHP? What then?

Kingsley

> Cheers!
> Giovanni
>

>> Giovanni,
>>
>> Please relay the following to whoever performed this port:
>>
>> Please unshackle the HTTP URIs of the "Things" mentioned in the page. Giving
>> user agents "run scrip []" is simply not what the Web is supposed to be
>> about.
>>
>> David fixed this glitch in his effort, so please embrace and extend his work
>> with more Linked Data compliance, assuming this is a Linked Data oriented
>> offering.
>>

>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Kingsley Idehen       Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen