Re: owl:sameAs [recipe]

For the record ( © Alan!).
I consider it bad practice to keep the knowledge about linking in the same KB as the substantive knowledge you are representing.
You need two KBs: one for the knowledge you are publishing, and one for the linkage you are working on.
These have very different provenance, maintenance patterns, etc..
And you can include a link from URIs that you generate to the linkage KB.

In fact, this would then help Alan's problem about sameAs:- he could simply decide not to get your view of the linkage, whereas with sameAs in the resources he has no choice but to accept your view, and even your predicate when he resolves a URI or queries the SPARQL.

And I do agree with you about minting URIs to your local stuff, including authors; it is error-prone to try to re-use things like dbpedia for this, on any scale. And this is why you need to tackle the linkage problem as a separate engineering activity.

Best
Hugh

(Of course I do have some software and architecture that supports separate linkage KBs (our CRS) so I would say this, but nevertheless I think it is the correct engineering approach, however it is done. Separation of Concerns.)

On 28/07/2009 02:23, "Eric Lease Morgan" <eric_morgan@infomotions.com> wrote:

On Jul 25, 2009, at 5:09 AM, Bill Roberts wrote:

> Regarding linking to external resources, what it seems you want
> to do is to identify the dc:creator of the book, hence say that
> the creator is the person whose name was Thomas More. You could
> create your own URI and if you are managing a whole bunch of data
> about books and authors, then there could be reasons to do that,
> but in general if there is a satisfactory existing URI, it is
> preferable to use it. Dbpedia seems to have become the de facto
> standard...

Okay, then how's this for a recipe to create rich linked data of
electronic books and authors within my own site as well as to the
outside world:

   1. Mint URIs pointing to representations of local etexts
   2. Mint URIs pointing to representations of authors of local etexts

   3. In resources of etexts, include owl:sameAs links to DBpedia
resources
   4. In resources of etexts, point to local URIs of authors

   5. In resources of authors, include owl:sameAs links to DBpedia
resources
   6. In resources of authors, include owl:creatorOf links to local
etexts

   7. For extra credit, do the same thing for subjects/keywords

For example, the following resource descriptions:

<!-- etext #1; points to local author and remote title -->
<rdf:RDF
   xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
   xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#">
   <rdf:Description
     rdf:about="http://infomotions.com/etexts/id/more-utopia-221"
     owl:sameAs="http://dbpedia.org/resource/Utopia_(book)">
     <dcterms:title>Utopia</dcterms:title>
     <dcterms:creator rdf:resource="http://infomotions.com/etexts/authors/resource/thomas-more
" />
   </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

<!-- etext #2; points to local author and remote title -->
<rdf:RDF
   xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
   xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#">
   <rdf:Description
     rdf:about="http://infomotions.com/etexts/id/more-reality-404"
     owl:sameAs="http://dbpedia.org/resource/Reality_(book)">
     <dcterms:title>Reality</dcterms:title>
     <dcterms:creator rdf:resource="http://infomotions.com/etexts/authors/resource/thomas-more
" />
   </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

<!-- author; points to local etexts and remote author -->
<rdf:RDF
   xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#">
   <rdf:Description
     rdf:about="http://infomotions.com/etexts/authors/resource/thomas-more