Re: JSON-LD Telecon Minutes for 2011-07-04

On Jul 12, 2011, at 12:58 PM, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
> The question is, do unnamed nodes have a place in Linked Data
> and in JSON-LD? I think they do; anyone else?

I believe IRI-less nodes can be useful within a process.

They're almost always troublesome as soon as usage moves beyond
that -- because how can I identify "that node you didn't identify
except to say that it existed in context of your last answer"?

((

Aside --

Earlier in this thread the word "label" was used where here you
use "name" and where I am using "IRI".

To my mind...

"Label" is like a sticker holding a (best case) human-friendly
literal string that helps the human understand the thing on which
that sticker has been stuck.

"Name" is an identifier, which might be an IRI, might be a literal
string, might be something else.

"IRI" is relatively unambiguous.

"HTTP IRI" seems to me quite unambiguous, and is hopefully clearly
a subset of "IRI".

))

Be seeing you,

Ted