Re: JSON-LD Telecon Minutes for 2011-07-04

From: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@kellogg-assoc.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 12:58:42 -0400
To: glenn mcdonald <glenn@furia.com>
CC: Ted Thibodeau Jr <tthibodeau@openlinksw.com>, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, Bradley Allen <bradley.p.allen@gmail.com>, Linked JSON <public-linked-json@w3.org>
On Jul 12, 2011, at 9:43 AM, glenn mcdonald wrote:

In common JSON usage, consider the following:

{
"@subject": "http://greggkellogg.net/foaf#me",
"@type": "Person"
"home-address": {
"@type": "Address",
"city": "San Rafael",
"region": "California"
}
}

Having to specify an IRI for the "home-address" item runs against much common usage. Why should this usage be discouraged?

This is fine data, but it's not a Linked Data graph. That is, it's not linked (can't refer to the address, city or region (or either type) as nodes), and it's a tree rather than a graph. Are we trying to magically transform JSON trees into graphs, or are we trying to describe how people with graphs should publish them in JSON? Or something else?

glenn

Sorry, I as assuming that Address and Person were terms that expand to IRIs. Values for city and region are typically literals in common formats. Actually, in schema.org<http://schema.org>, it's PostalAddress and addressLocality/addressRegion instead of city/region, but I was trying to be illustrative, not pedantic.

This short example is, of course, a tree, but could be a graph if I started adding more information, such as 'knows' with a couple of other people. Those people could either be described internally, or be their own documents which could express that they know me too, which would make it a graph.

The question is, do unnamed nodes have a place in Linked Data and in JSON-LD? I think they do; anyone else?

Gregg