Re: ldp-ISSUE-33 (pagination): how to structure functionality

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:07:39 +0000
To: public-ldp-wg@w3.org
On 11/13/12 1:52 PM, Roger Menday wrote:
>> if your goal is to build an RDF-centric version of XForms, then you can do
>> >that and XForms would be a useful thing to look at and see what worked
>> >well, and what didn't. however, i'd say that doing this is outside of the
>> >scope of the WG, and all we can hope for is to use existing specs. URI
>> >Templates are different from XForms in that the model is much simpler that
>> >XML or RDF; it's just a bunch of name/value pairs
> RDF is a simple as name/value pairs, IMHO, and way simpler than XML.
> In the primer that LDP produces, we need to convey this message, I believe.
>
> anyway ....:)

Yes, but RDF and XML are not comparable things, hence the eternal
confusion.

RDF is a conflation of:

1. Data Model -- webby entity relationship model endowed with explicit
semantics (this enables the construction of self-describing resources)
2. Data Representation Syntaxes
3. Data Serialization Formats.

Coincidentally, I gave a short presentation [1] about this issue of
conflation, last night.

Links:

1. http://slidesha.re/UGg18k - Linked Data, RDF, and the Semantic Web
2. http://bit.ly/T3kWUv -- Entity Relationship Model and the Unified
View of Data (about Peter Chen's 1976 dissertation)
3. http://bit.ly/YTdz3N -- Peter Chen's actual dissertation.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen