Re: Some issues with the IRI document [applicabilityUTF8-10]

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@imc.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:04:37 -0700
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>, public-iri@w3.org

At 5:35 PM -0400 4/17/03, Martin Duerst wrote:
>Can you please check whether you are okay with the new section at
>http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/draft-duerst-iri.html#UTF8use,
>or whether you think that it needs some stronger normative wording?

Yep, that's much better.

One suggestion, though: the last sentence of the third paragraph of
that section ends "...the escaped octets cannot be converted to
actual characters in an IRI, because the escaping is based on
iso-8859-1 rather than UTF-8." That is true, but it brings in an
encoding issue that isn't necessary. I propose "...the escaped octets
cannot be converted to actual characters in an IRI, because the
escaping is not encoded as UTF-8."

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium