Re: Some issues with the IRI document [legacyNFC-06]

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 18:08:57 -0400
To: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@imc.org>, public-iri@w3.org

At 08:14 03/04/08 -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

>Technical issues:

>I do not understand the logic of having Variants (B) and (C) in step 1 in
>section 3.1. One is normalized, the other one isn't. Doesn't this sound
>like a recipe for disaster? Why did you differentiate between these two cases?

This is listed as issue
http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/Overview.html#legacyNFC-06

This is carefully based on the principle of early uniform normalization
as described in the W3C Character Model. The assumption is that
Unicode-based encodings are for the most part already in NFC
(and where they are not, this may be on purpose). However,
for non-Unicode encodings, normalization when converting is
sometimes necessary (the most obvious example is windows-1258,
for Vietnamese).

I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,   Martin.