Re: Some issues with the IRI document [legacyNFC-06]

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 18:08:57 -0400
To: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@imc.org>, public-iri@w3.org

At 08:14 03/04/08 -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

>Technical issues:

>I do not understand the logic of having Variants (B) and (C) in step 1 in
>section 3.1. One is normalized, the other one isn't. Doesn't this sound
>like a recipe for disaster? Why did you differentiate between these two cases?

This is listed as issue

This is carefully based on the principle of early uniform normalization
as described in the W3C Character Model. The assumption is that
Unicode-based encodings are for the most part already in NFC
(and where they are not, this may be on purpose). However,
for non-Unicode encodings, normalization when converting is
sometimes necessary (the most obvious example is windows-1258,
for Vietnamese).

I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,   Martin.