Re: Input to BP 16 http://www.w3.org/International/its/techniques/its-techniques.html#AuthDir

Hi Christian,

Lieske, Christian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had a look at "Best Practice 16: Specify text directionality if needed".
>
> Please find my high-level feedback below. They pertain to the "Why do this"
> part.
>
> Cheers,
> Christian
> ===
>
> 1.
>
> Quote>Identifying the language of a text content does not mean its
> directionality is known.
>
> Rephrase as "Language (identification) and directionality are distinct
> dimensions." Fits better with the following ...
>
> Quote>There is not necessarily a one-to-one match between a language and
> what directionality to use...
>
> 2.
>
> Quote>When using directional markup inline, the markup and the values of
> that markup
> Quote>do not necessarily coincide with language declarations.
>
> I have got admit that I don't get the message. Could someone make an attempt
> to rephrase?

How about:
The values of inline directionality markup are not necessarily aligned
with the values of markup about the language. For example, a part of a
document might be declared as having "ltr"  directionality, but there
might be only a general language declaration for a left-to-right script
language available, like "fr".

> 3.
>
> Quote>It is not recommended to use Unicode Bidi Embedding Controls in an XML
> document.
>
> Should explain why? One thing I have in mind is: They have an impact
> influence on e.g. character counting.

so how about:
"It is not recommended to use Unicode Bidi Embedding Controls in an XML
document, because that influences processes relying on the length of
character sequences, like character counting."

Felix