Re: Styling of embedded right-to-left text in source code visualization

Hi Martin,

Martin Duerst wrote:
> Hello Felix, Najib, others,
>
> For some work on this issue, please also see my IUC28 paper at
> http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2005/pub/IUC28-bidi/IUC28.html
> and the simulation page at
> http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/cgi-bin/bidi-source-test
> and some additional info at
> http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2005/pub/IUC28-bidi/.

Many thanks for these  links.

I tested your simulation bidi-source-test, it is excellent.

But for
<phone> 12 34 56</phone>
it gives
<phone> 12 34 56</phone>
which is OK.
and for (uppercase is arabic)
<phone>MOBILE: 12 34 56</phone>
it gives
<phone> 56 34 12 :ELIBOM</phone>

Why phone digits are listed in RTL?

> At 04:17 07/09/08, Najib Tounsi wrote:
>
>> Hi Felix,
>>
>> Felix Sasaki wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Najib and Richard,
>>>
>>> at least with Najib we discussed styling of "right-to-left" text in source code visualization a while ago,
>>>
>> Yes,
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0036.html
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2007AprJun/0038.html
>>
>> I've noted that rendering bidi text in source code is editor (or tool) dependent and have suggested that a user should set his/her preference: Override Yes or Not the bidi algorithm, so that, if Yes, punctuations in the markup  and  normal text can't interfere and give unexpected rendering.
>>

> My guess is that almost always, in the above sense, the user would
> choose "override yes". Just blindly applying the Unicode bidi algorithm
> to something it's not designed to handle virtually always results in
> chaos that shows as garbage.
>
> But that's not the main problem. Even when we agree that the Unicode
> Bidi algorithm as such isn't suited for source display (be that HTML/
> XML or some programming language source or something else), there
> are many ways to do a better job, and different users may prefer
> different ways depending on their background and on the documents
> at hand.

Sure, there are better ways to do things and it depends on users/documents.
It is also true that working directly in source code is exceptional, and
could be done only by advanced users for some "fine tuning".

>> Richard had already discussed this problem,
>> http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/tech-bidi.html#d2e277
>> but there is no satisfactory solution yet.
>>
>> Editing source code is not a usuall activity so, between the next three lines
>> I prefer the third which is much sure for inserting a space for example.
>>

> Assuming the usual "upper case is RTL" convention, I fully
> understand why you prefer the third, but I don't understand
> why you label it as "memory order". The first is in memory
> order, isn't it?
Oups.
Yes it is. I've (badly) transcripted my arabic example to latin
uppercase. Please see attached image.

> The third is what we would like to see, but
> what as far as I understand, no editor currently does.

:-(

[...]

>> The question remains: For source text, is correct bidi-rendering desirable for a given user for a given need?
>>

> What do you mean by "correct bidi rendering"?
Sorry, "correct" is not the right word.
What I wanted to say is that with **mixed LTR+RTL content, there is two
levels of source code:
- the one with applying bidi algorihm, possibly with something else.
(Most of actual editors)
- the one without applying bidi algorithm. (The exact source file)
and if editors could permit to switch from one level to the other, it
would be perfect.

Regards, Najib

PS: (For my part, I always wondered why don't other languages use
scripts written right-to-left?  :-) )