Input to BP 16 http://www.w3.org/International/its/techniques/its-techniques.html#AuthDir

From: Lieske, Christian <christian.lieske@sap.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:20:18 +0200
To: <public-i18n-its@w3.org>
Hi all,

I had a look at "Best Practice 16: Specify text directionality if needed".

Please find my high-level feedback below. They pertain to the "Why do this"
part.

Cheers,
Christian
===

1.

Quote>Identifying the language of a text content does not mean its
directionality is known.

Rephrase as "Language (identification) and directionality are distinct
dimensions." Fits better with the following ...

Quote>There is not necessarily a one-to-one match between a language and
what directionality to use...

2.

Quote>When using directional markup inline, the markup and the values of
that markup
Quote>do not necessarily coincide with language declarations.

I have got admit that I don't get the message. Could someone make an attempt
to rephrase?

3.

Quote>It is not recommended to use Unicode Bidi Embedding Controls in an XML
document.

Should explain why? One thing I have in mind is: They have an impact
influence on e.g. character counting.