Re: Simplified or traditional for each Chinese macrolanguage

From: <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 10:08:10 +0100
To: Xidorn Quan <me@upsuper.org>, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
Cc: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>, 董福興 <bobbytung@wanderer.tw>, CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>, Makoto Kato <m_kato@ga2.so-net.ne.jp>, 劉慶 <ryukeikun@gmail.com>
On 28/07/2016 01:23, Xidorn Quan wrote:
> I think zh-yue-HK would fallback to zh-yue automatically given the list,
> shouldn't it?
>
> But if you write zh-yue-CN, hmmm...

Don't go there! ;-)

If you write zh-yue-CN you are NOT saying anything about the script, you
are simply saying that we are talking about yue as used in CN.

I think it's a very bad and dangerous idea to start assuming that
because people have used zh-CN to mean simplified chinese that all more
carefully constructed language tags are equally broken.  If one
encourages people to think that there is a script association other than
the default with zh-yue-CN then the whole model starts to fall apart,
and people can no longer create meaningful tags for certain combinations.

zh-CN we are stuck with, because of a long legacy dating to pre-BCP47
days, but i think we should stop at that and zh-TW when it comes to
assuming that the intended script is a function of the region tag.

hth
ri