Re: Simplified or traditional for each Chinese macrolanguage

On 28/07/2016 01:23, Xidorn Quan wrote:
> I think zh-yue-HK would fallback to zh-yue automatically given the list,
> shouldn't it?
>
> But if you write zh-yue-CN, hmmm...

Don't go there! ;-)

If you write zh-yue-CN you are NOT saying anything about the script, you
are simply saying that we are talking about yue as used in CN.

I think it's a very bad and dangerous idea to start assuming that
because people have used zh-CN to mean simplified chinese that all more
carefully constructed language tags are equally broken.  If one
encourages people to think that there is a script association other than
the default with zh-yue-CN then the whole model starts to fall apart,
and people can no longer create meaningful tags for certain combinations.

zh-CN we are stuck with, because of a long legacy dating to pre-BCP47
days, but i think we should stop at that and zh-TW when it comes to
assuming that the intended script is a function of the region tag.

hth
ri