Re: Simplified or traditional for each Chinese macrolanguage

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016, at 02:00 AM, ishida@w3.org wrote:
> On 27/07/2016 08:18, Xidorn Quan wrote:
> > Richard: could you review this list as well
>
> hi Xidorn, here are some thoughts from a quick review.
>
> i think you're missing zh on its own.

zh is something pre-exists and browsers already agree with each other,
so I ignore it. But yeah, if we put the list in some document, we should
include this as well.

> Also, if this is a list of what people/applications may use to describe
> the language of a page, you should probably add zh-CN, zh-TW and zh-HK
> to your list (but not to any list in clreq).

They would just be mapped to themselves I suppose.

> I suppose there's also a way to match something like zh-yue-HK to zh-yue?

I think zh-yue-HK would fallback to zh-yue automatically given the list,
shouldn't it?

But if you write zh-yue-CN, hmmm...

> I guess the use of =zh-CN rather than =zh-Hans is a legacy issue with
> the way things are labelled in the code?  It would be nice to use the
> script codes rather than region codes, if possible, since that properly
> expresses what is meant.

Probably... Internally we actually map zh-Hans to zh-CN :)

- Xidorn