Re: Simplified or traditional for each Chinese macrolanguage

Hello Xidorn, others,

On 2016/07/27 16:18, Xidorn Quan wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016, at 05:08 PM, Koji Ishii wrote:
>> What do you think about having this information in CLREQ, or maybe
>> in a separate I18N WG note if WG prefers? That should get wider
>> reviews then.
>>
>> It might also be nice to explicitly mention that authors can/should
>> add script subtag to pick the other choice than the default.
>
> The attachment is the list I'm currently going to submit to our code.
> Two CLReq editors reviewed this list and think it looks good.
>
> Richard: could you review this list as well, and if everything looks fine, could you probably consider putting it as an I18N WG note? Editors of CLReq don't think this kind of details fit in CLReq.

It seems overkill to create a WG note for a list of about 40 lines. But
of course if somebody writes the document and Richard is fine with
handling the publishing overhead, I won't object.

I also agree that the list in its current form, with entries such as
   hak=zh-TW
would be inappropriate in CLReq. But then, this exact form is probably
also inappropriate for an independent note, as zh-TW just means "Chinese
as used in Taiwan", even if it may be used with the meaning "use a
traditional Hanzi font appropriate for Taiwan" internally in some browsers.

This also shows a possible way to integrate this information into CLReq:
State it as information about current practice (e.g. Hakka is
predominantly written with a (Taiwanese style) traditional Hanzi font),
and leave the implementation details (which should be rather
straightforward) to other specs or implementations.

Regards,   Martin.