Re: Simplified or traditional for each Chinese macrolanguage

On 27/07/2016 09:04, Martin J. Dürst wrote:
> This also shows a possible way to integrate this information into CLReq:
> State it as information about current practice (e.g. Hakka is
> predominantly written with a (Taiwanese style) traditional Hanzi font),
> and leave the implementation details (which should be rather
> straightforward) to other specs or implementations.

I also like this approach. It is technology agnostic, but provides a
fuller picture of useful chinese requirements.  It also locates the
information in a place where it's easy to find at a later date.

To be clear, i'm thinking about a list, perhaps in an appendix, that
says something like:

========================
The following languages, as described by BCP47 language tags, map by
default to writing systems as follows.

Simplified Chinese
cmn
zh-cmn
gan
czh

Traditional Chinese
hak
zh-hak
lzh
zh-lzh
nan

Traditional Chinese with Hong Kong additions
yue
zh-yue

There are cases, such as hak where a different mapping may be valid. In
particular, if a language is expressed using a BCP 47 script tag, such
as cmn-hant, the script tag determines the writing system to be used.

If we want to be more thorough, we can list the names of the languages,
per BCP 47, rather than just the codes as shown above, eg.

cmn mandarin chinese
zh-cmn mandarin chinese
hak hakka chinese
zh-hak hakka chinese
lzh literary chinese

Would the clreq folks be happy to do something like that?

ri