RE: [jlreq] Comment to WD-20111129

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 10:47:08 -0500
To: IKEDA Soji <ikeda@conversion.co.jp>, "public-i18n-cjk@w3.org" <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
While I understand what you said, I think both usages exist, so "almost incorrect" is too much.

> In professional printings, upright characters often keep their proportional glyphs,
> and are placed onto one em square spacing.

I agree that some authors prefer such styles, especially when full-width glyphs in fonts weren't good quality. But recent fonts have improved the quality of full-width alpha-numeric glyphs and also they tend to have the same glyph, just with different widths. With such fonts, I think authors tend to prefer full-width glyphs for upright characters. See a capture from Mac Fan magazine[1].

> Characters of their own may not have extended (fullwidth) glyphs.

That's correct, but again, recent fonts have OpenType 'fwid' feature for code points that do not have full-width code points, so the problem you pointed out are gradually resolved.

That says, while there are cases you pointed out is correct, there are cases the current text is correct too.

In Japanese version, it says "in general" but it's missing in English text. Adding that could resolve your concern, or adding "both usages exist" might work better.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-writing-modes/#fig-mac

Regards,
Koji