RE: is it necessary to disambiguate (using markup) inline notes,citations and original markup? [was] use of <mark> to denote notes in quoted text

Agreed.

Which brings another question... How is this:

     Ask not <mark>[...]</mark> what you can do for your country.

Any better than this:

     Ask not <span>[...]</span> what you can do for your country.

There may be a good reason, but I don't know what it is.

As it is, @title may be useful if used this way, but <mark> doesn't seem to be any better of a fit than <span>:

     Ask not <mark title="what your country can do for you, but">[...]</mark> what you can do for your country.

FWIW, I am considering the current definition of <mark> [1] and also balancing it with Steve's feedback that it's not being used correctly even in those rare cases where it is used [2].

1. http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/text-level-semantics.html#the-mark-element
2. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2013Sep/0070.html