Re: is it necessary to disambiguate (using markup) inline notes,citations and original markup? [was] use of <mark> to denote notes in quoted text

In some languages (also in English I'm pretty sure) ellipsis in the text
means you've skipped a part of the original text, so I don't think that
would be a good rendering method.

Again I want to stress that a 'note' has a significantly different meaning
than a 'highlight', although in this case they seem to enter a grey area.